Online maker space – An open invitation
I’ve been toying with the idea of an online maker space for a while. Now, thanks to a Shuttleworth Foundation Flash Grant, I am going to be able to dedicate some time to this.
I’m looking for a few schools who would be interested in committing to participate in this. Participants will be able to help shape how this proceeds, and the requirements are few. Specifically, I’m looking for:
- A group of students (13 or over to simplify the online participation aspect) who want to participate
- At least one adult coordinator at each site who will also participate
- A willingness on everyone’s part to create and share their creations with others (what we create will vary; see below)
This could be done as a part of a formal class or it could be done as an optional extracurricular type activity.
Initially, I am thinking of this as a 8 week or so “unit” but it could certainly expand or contract to suit your situation.
What will we make? Folks who opt to participate will have a lot of input on this, but here are some options to consider:
- Short digital stories (photos, writings, drawings, audio pieces, videos) ala the DS106 Daily Create
- Apps and/or digital environments (possibly using Scratch, Minecraft, etc.)
- Agricultural projects*
- Gadgets* (could be Arduino, Lego, robotics, etc.)
- Materials projects* (could include artwork, woodworking, fabrics, cardboard, rocketry, inventions, etc.)
- Other ideas you bring
* Any material costs will need to be covered by the local site.
We will most likely select a few of these to focus on initially, but each participant will also have ample choices for what they want to work on.
What are the goals of this project? To encourage learning through the lenses of making/hacking/playing. To learn from each other. To be creative. To build a sense of agency. To have fun. To think about next steps for how this might be expanded.
I am open to any and all suggestions regarding this. Please post a comment here or email me at karen at k12opened dot com with ideas and/or inquiries of interest in participate.