I had a great time at ISTE in Philly this year, spreading the word about OER and K-12. The enthusiasm was overwhelming. Below is a part of the tweet stream. Thanks to everyone for coming and for helping get the message out about the benefits of OER. Please share what you learned with others back home. All the materials I shared (Livebinder, PPT, wiki page) are open-licensed — please use however you like!
Are you interested in OER in K-12? If you’re coming to ISTE, please join us at the Birds of a Feature session “Open Education and Open Educational Resources” on Tuesday, June 28 from 5:00pm–6:15pm. This will be an informal discussion to explore the potential of OER, how different schools are using it, and how we can get more folks using these great resources. Come help us strategize the future of OER in K-12!
I will also be doing a BYOL session “Open Educational Resources: Share, Remix, Learn” on Monday, June 27 from 4:15pm–5:15pm.
Here is a run-down of various OER- and open source-related sessions at ISTE this year:
- 10 Open Source Software Packages You’ll Love! – Monday, June 27 from 11:00am–12:00pm
- Sakai Project @ Bexley Schools from Pilot to Production - Monday, June 27 from 11:00am–1:00pm
- Alternative Assessment Strategies Using the Mahara ePortfolio System – Monday, June 27 from 12:45pm–1:45pm
- Drupal for Education: Latest Trends and New Ways to Get Started - Monday, June 27 from 2:30pm–3:30pm
- Open Educational Resources: Share, Remix, Learn - Monday, June 27 from 4:15pm–5:15pm
- Much Ado about Digital Content: What Do the Students Say? – Monday, June 27 from 4:15pm–5:15pm (Hmmm…same time as my session :()
- Open Source Toolkit: Saving Money, Securing More Programs – Tuesday, June 28 from 10:00am–12:00pm
- Got Books? Promoting Young Adult Literature using Technology - Tuesday, June 28 from 10:00am–12:00pm
- NETS Portfolio: Documenting and Assessing Student Growth with Sakai - Tuesday, June 28 from 1:00pm–3:00pm
- Building a Learning Platform with Open Source Software - Tuesday, June 28 from 2:00pm–3:00pm
- Overcoming Barriers through Open Source Solutions - Tuesday, June 28 from 3:45pm–4:45pm
- Open Education and Open Educational Resources” - Tuesday, June 28 from 5:00pm–6:15pm
- OER Glue: Leveraging Open Education Resources and Popular Tools – Wednesday, June 29 from 8:30am–9:30am
- Open Source, Open Content, and Web 2.0 - Wednesday, June 29 from 8:30am–9:30am
- Innovative Technology in Science Inquiry - Wednesday, June 29 from 10:15am–11:15am
- Bringing Algebra and Geometry Together with GeoGebra - Wednesday, June 29 from 11:00am–1:00pm